The Very Best Email Marketing Quotes (from experts)
We LOVE emails. Heck, we built a whole email tool! So safe to say, we know a thing or two about email campaigns and the written word. For our own presentations, we’ve often been looking for the best email marketing quotes to add some credibility. They can really strengthen the right message, as long as they’re relevant.
So here are 15 quotes you can use to sound witty and credible, just like me 🙂
1) “Be interesting! Even if you have something interesting to say, your delivery can make people read, or run.”
- By Neville Medhora (CopywritingCourse)
Neville manages to explain complex concepts in an easy way. The tell-tale sign of a master copywriter! I particularly like this quote because delivery relays on context, which is a step above the basic copywriting rules. His delivery style is simple, no jargon, clear and to the point. Like speaking to a friend.
2) “You sell on emotion, but you justify with logic.”
- By Joseph Sugerman
Joseph is a legendary copywriter. My favorite story of his: He once offered $10 off for every spelling error found in his copy. He put some in there on purpose. Some people spent hours searching even though they weren’t interested in the product. Legend.
3) “Copy is a direct conversation with the consumer.”
- Shirley Polykoff
I really like this one. It reminds you that you should write to your audience as if you were having a conversation. Use simple, clear words, and don’t think about ‘filling out’ sentences. Just like the first quote in this list, write your email campaigns like you would speak to a friend.
4) "Marketing is like sex: everyone thinks they’re good at it."
Ha! This one hits home. I’ve served on many marketing teams over the past 7 years. It’s the only department where other people constantly try to do your job ‘better’. It’s a many-faceted job, not easy at all.
5) “Email has an ability many channels don’t: creating valuable, personal touches – at scale."
- David Newman (DoItMarketing)
I love thinking about this quote by Newman. Through words sent to thousands of people, individuals can still feel connected to you. What other channels allow you to bring personalized, yet highly relevant content to the right persons?
6) "A small list that wants exactly what you’re offering is better than a bigger list that isn’t committed."
- Ramsay Leimenstoll
This is SO true! I’ve seen countless of X.com (Twitter) posts of newsletters that have a small list with less than a thousand people, that still generate hundreds a month in revenue.
7) "There is no formula for the perfect email – Authentic and honest messaging works.”
While I’m a fan of the AIDA formula for writing email campaigns and social media posts, nothing beats the right message to the right person, at the right time.
8) "When you have written your headline, you have spent eighty cents out of your dollar."
- David Ogilvy
I could probably write a whole article on Ogilvy’s quotes alone, but this might be my favorite one of his. Especially in email marketing, the subject line is crucial. A little tip, try to write at least 4 headlines. Leave them be for 5 minutes (go to the loo or something), come back and pick or rewrite them to find the best subject line.
9) "Tell me and I will forget, show me and I may remember, involve me and I will understand.”
While they didn’t have email in 500 BCE, Confucius would’ve been a great copywriter. Involve your audience in your message, and they will love you for it. You can do this by using testimonials, words they use, examples you see, best practices, share their wins, …
10) "An email without clarity is like an annoying mime: Just say what you want or get out the way!"
- Jordie van Rijn
The Dutchies are nothing if not direct! Jordie is spot on with this one. You should become allergic to jargon, write short paragraphs and variance in your sentences.
11) "Reaching the inbox isn’t your goal. Engaging people is.”
Too often we get hung up on open rates, bounce rates, CTRs, … but the goal is to engage your audience. Quality content served to the right audience is what you’re after.
Talking about conversion rates…
12) “Average conversion rates are meaningless. Switzerland on average is flat.”
Haha! What a f’ing great line. Would you like to be flat like the average? No! Go climb that mountain and plant your flag on the summit of writing the best email campaigns.
13) “The best advertising should make you nervous about what you're not buying.”
- Mary Wells Lawrence
Yes yes yes, make them suffer while contemplating buying! FOMO is real, so use it. Things like exploding offers (urgency) are a cheaper way of doing it, but strong copy is more powerful.
14) “Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. you know what you are doing, but nobody else does.”
- Stuart H. Britt
Speaks for itself 🙂
15) “Sometimes when you start writing, you try so hard, that you end up ruining the fucker.”
- Paul McCartney
Ain’t that the truth. If it’s not flowing, just leave it be and come back again. You will be less frustrated, have wasted less time, and your email will be better for it. I often write something, and revisit it again the next day. It’s ALWAYS better after.
So there you have it, my favorite email marketing quotes. Use them as inspiration to write your next email, or put them in your presentations to sound more credible. You do you.
Here are a few learnings to take away from these quotes:
Relevant content beats anything. The right message, to the right person at the right time is key. That’s a good email.
Your subject line is 80 cents of the whole dollar, spend some extra time on it.
A good email list doesn’t have to be millions of people. A small list of super fans beats a bigger list of randos every single day of the week.
Email campaigns are a channel that allows you to create personal touches at scale.
Cut out any jargon and bloated sentences. Write as you would speak to a friend. That’s the key to relevant and quality content.
Now go send out a few emails (preferably using Plunk), and perhaps your quote can one day appear in this list.